Manual Lymphatic Drainage (MLD) Massage
Manual lymphatic drainage massage (MLD) is a light and relaxing method of encouraging the lymph nodes to transport waste away from body tissues. This is achieved through gentle hand and finger movements over the major lymph nodes of the body. These modes are located in areas such as the armpits, groin and below the jaw.
Your therapist will decide on the areas that receive the most attention depending on your needs and what will be most effective for your desired outcomes.
What is the Lymph System?
The lymphatic system is a network of vessels and nodes that performs a crucial function by filtering and transporting waste away from tissue around the body and back towards the heart.
Lymph nodes help filter bacteria and other toxins from your body by trapping them and using specialised white blood cells to destroy them. Unlike the circulatory system, the lymphatic system does not have an automatic pump mechanism: it relies on movement in the muscles to propel fluid through the body. The lymphatic system can suffer If your lifestyle isn’t active enough, perhaps due to age, illness or injury.
When the lymph nodes aren’t functioning properly, fluid begins to build up in tissue around the body. This is known as oedema and can often result in swelling; a common example is the puffy legs and ankles many people experience after a long flight. Fluid retention can be caused by a variety of medical conditions or lack of movement & massaging the lymph nodes helps ease the symptoms of this build up.
Benefits of Manual Lymphatic Drainage Massage
- Promote healing after surgery by encouraging blood flow to the area, and reducing scarring
- Reduce swelling after injury or surgery
- Detox the body because eating the wrong foods, too little exercise or high stress can slow things down
- Improve the immune system – increase the prodcution of antibodies that fight of infection
- Reduce inflammation which can benefit conditions like arthritis
- Reduce pain and stress levels
- Improved complexion and to reduce puffiness around the eyes
- Relieve symptoms of sinusitis be relieving congestion, reducing pain and discomfort
- Assist with breastfeeding, particularly when there are problems with blocked ducts and sore, tight breasts
- Reduce swelling after long periods of immobility like air travel
Safe and effective lymphatic drainage therapy from an experienced team
Our team is fully trained to use the proper techniques for lymphatic massage to ensure you get the most of your session without any compromise in your wellbeing. Our full range of services includes trigger point therapy, pregnancy massage and more, so come down to Vibrant Life Massage and rest easy knowing you are in capable, caring hands. Please note that we reserve the right to refer clients to their medical practitioner for review at any stage in the treatment to ensure your health and wellbeing is always put first.
Make an enquiry
Whether you just have a quick question or are ready to book a massage for lymphatic drainage at our Perth clinic, don’t hesitate to email email@example.com or call 9381 1026. Not all out therapists offer MLD, so don’t hesitate to contact us if you would like to confirm availability of staff for this treatment.